Every Friday of camp weeks we have a presentation for parents and a celebration to close out the week. Campers share skits with parents as well as some camp songs, dances and more. We are all sad to see the week come to an end but one thing that makes the afternoon special is our now famous Tres Leches Cake. Counselor Kata is known for making this delicacy and is constantly barraged with questions about how to make it. So finally, here is the secret recipe from the counselor herself. It’s actually quite simple!
1 box white cake mix
3 egg whites
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water
1 can sweetened condensed mil
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350o
- Cook box of white cake mix following the instructions on the box to make one 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Let cake cool.
- When you’re sure the cake is completely cooled, you can turn it out onto a baking sheet or leave it in the pan you cooked it in.
- With a thin skewer stick or tooth pick, poke holes all over the cake. Be careful not to poke all the way down to the bottom where you reach the pan- you only want to poke about halfway or 3/4 of the way through the cake.
- In a separate bowl, mix together one can of sweetened condensed milk, one can of evaporated milk and one cup of heavy whipping cream.
- One large spoonful at a time, slowly pour the milk mix over the cake; make sure not to just dump it over one spot, spread the mixture with the spoon as you pour. You may notice the cake stops absorbing the liquid as quickly. If this happens, take a break to let the milk mix soak in and then continue. Keep going until you’ve used all of the milk mix.
- The frosting is a simple homemade whipped cream: Take 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and whip it in a bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Fold in approximately 1/2 cup of powdered milk (or to taste), you may have to whip the cream again to keep the fluffy consistency.
- Use a spatula to frost the cake and decorate as you wish- fresh fruit around the sides or on top is the traditional decoration.
- We opt to separate out the frosting and add some color to create our classic palm tree!
- Keep refrigerated until you serve.
Keep some water nearby to help with the sweetness and don’t forget to snap a pic and show us your results!
Buen provecho! Bon appétit!